It just works…but not accidentally
Take time to prepare your strategy
- Define what you do best
- Make the right connections
- Stand out to the right people.
START HERE ~ Tuesday, April 2nd
6:45 at the Greg Garrett Realty office
Corner of Middle Ground & Canon Blvd
11864 Canon Blvd #103 Newport News, VA 23606
A non-profit professional group is doing a great strategy program that helps get better jobs…at no charge.
He stood out even more because he was doing volunteer work to gain skills while he was helping others.
On top of that he had a great attitude of empathy and respect.
In a lot of ways this was a guy with the deck thoroughly stacked against him. But his words, actions, & attitude made him stand out and made me want to do everything I could to help him.
“Stand out. Your success depends on being chosen.”
Plenty of jobs are ready for the right people.
Employers have asked for help with these jobs right now.
- Home elder care … Williamsburg varied hours and shifts … no experience required…just big heart.
- Web design and management … Starting part-time about $12 an hour. Ready to hire the right designer full-time with annual salary $30,000+
- Front End Application Developer (Immediate hire, willing to travel DC Metro and US 50% or less)
- Java Developer – Sr consultant (Immediate Hire, willing to travel DC Metro and US 50% or less)
- SharePoint Developer(s) – Sr and mid-level consultants (Immediate hire, can work virtual)
- NET/C#/SQL developers willing to learn SharePoint – would love to talk to those folks as well.
- Hospitality ~ Seasonal customer service on resort properties
- Facility maintenance ~ evening shift
- Pool manager (2 to 5 years experience required) full-time
- Seasonal front desk full-time
- Season activities full-time
- Season night houseman / runner full-time
- Maintenance Tech full-time
Employers… Would you like us to help you search for the best hires. No cost to your or to job candidates. We love connecting people.
Drop us a line right here.
One really funny interview
Ten seconds doesn’t seem like much time to decide whether you are going to give me a second look, a chance at a job.
But when you have a stack of 100 resumes, ten seconds is over 15 mind-numbing minutes. If you give each one just 5 minutes you’re going to spend nearly an hour and a half.
If nothing grabs you on my resume, it will be in the trash within 5 seconds.
But if… you see something you’ve been looking for… you will set my resume aside for a second look.
What would make your resume get out of the pile of 100 and onto the desk for a second look?
When asked what she did in her last job, she said that among other things she maintained the company’s web site.
“So what did that involve,” she was asked.
“Well when I started the company didn’t have a web site. I saw how it could help so I organized the material and built the web site into the way we did business.”
Hmmmm…excuse me…but that’s a little more than maintaining a web site. You diagnosed a problem, created a solution, built a web site, integrated the web into the business system…and maintained a web site.
Sometimes we need somebody looking over our shoulder to help us see what we bring to the table. That’s part of the process of defining our best work so we can get the best job.
1. Make a list of your ten most important connections.
They want to help you AND they are positioned well to help you.
Very likely they are connected to even more helpful people who will help you because of them.
2. Ask first, “What can you do for them?”
It’s easier for generous people to give to generous people
3. Get very clear about what you want them to do for you.
If you aren’t sure then consider this, “The first and easiest ask is for understanding.” You can ask your closest connectors for advice about what to ask.
We just completed a very successful winter session. It is truly amazing how meaningful six weeks can be in our lives. We, the Destiny Team, would like to show our deepest gratitude to you all for your dedication, participation, and invaluable feedback.
Destiny Project is taking a short remission, but we will BE BACK SOON!
Please stay tuned for the latest news and upcoming events.