by looking for your next job
Become more valuable
- What can I do to become more valuable where I am?
- How can I make my present job easier to pass on to someone else?
- What can I do in the future that brings more of my best work to my job?
Become more available
- Do I know what my boss needs most?
- Does my boss know I want to become more valuable?
- Who do I know who does the kind of work I want to do next?
- What am I learning from them?
4. Who knows I’m looking for an opportunity to move up
If they ask, “How can I help you?” what would I ask?
Become more accountable
We don’t usually decide to stay in the same place, getting the same results. We get stuck there because we don’t naturally take the steps that move us up.
Most people who move up have invited accountability, coaching, and encouragement. That’s what helps them make hard choices and live out hard commitments.
Who are you inviting to coach you hold you accountable?
Turn ideas into action
- Do more than read the questions above. Write down answers
- Make a list of a few people who could hold you accountable if you asked.
- Make an appointment with at least one of them and show them the answers you have written down.
- Since you are asking for their time…at least buy them coffee.